For six weeks after I had Hope, I had an Ayurvedic Post Partum Doula cooking my meals. And there were a lot of meals. Birthing a kid takes it out of you, and you need fuel to keep up breastfeeding. My doula introduced me to these date bites to keep me energized throughout the day, and I’ve been making them ever since.
You can find this (and other amazing) recipes in her cookbook here: https://ayurvedabirth.lpages.co/recipe-ebook-first-42-days/
(It’s a great new mom gift!)
In the meantime, here’s my version of her recipe.
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup Sun Butter (or any nut butter)
- 1/4 cup coconut flakes
- 3-4 tablespoons honey. I love Countertop Foods “Mother Honey,” which has a number of enriching spices that up the nutritional content as well as the taste factor!
- Large dates
- Mix together equal parts Sun Butter, coconut flakes, ghee & honey
- Taste, and choose to mix seasonings you’d like (I’ve used cinnamon, chai spice, and vanilla at times)
- Slice open refrigerated dates (it helps to have them cold for the stuffing part!) and pit if needed
- Stuff with the filling until it’s all gone
- Pop back in the fridge … if they survive more than 1 sitting!
- Enjoy 1-2 (or 7) as a snack throughout the day